Review: Tougher in Texas by Kari Lynn Dell

Title: Tougher in Texas
Series: Texas Rodeo #3
Release Date: August 1, 2017
Publisher: Sourcebooks Casablanca
Source: Net Galley
Pages: 416
Add to Goodreads
He's got five rules
And she's aiming to break them all

Rodeo producer Cole Jacobs has his hands full running Jacobs Livestock. He can't afford to lose a single cowboy, so when cousin Violet offers to send along a more-than-capable replacement, he's got no choice but to accept. He expects a grizzled Texas good ol' boy.

He gets Shawnee Pickett.

Wild and outspoken, ruthlessly self-reliant, Shawnee's not looking for anything but a good time. It doesn't matter how quickly the tall, dark and quiet cowboy gets under her skin—Cole Jacobs deserves something real, and Shawnee can't promise him forever. Life's got a way of kicking her in the teeth, and she's got her bags packed before tragedy can knock her down. Too bad Cole's not the type to give up when the going gets tough...


My Thoughts
TOUGHER IN TEXAS was incredibly emotional and I balled my frickin’ eyes out. A lot.

First off, I want to applaud the author for creating an autistic hero. Cole has Asperger’s Syndrome, a type of autism. Autism Spectrum Disorder is a developmental disability that affects a person’s ability process information and to communicate and interact with others. Asperger’s is a form of autism located higher up in the spectrum. This means people with Asperger’s are highly intelligent, but have difficulties with social and communication skills.

My review is going to be a little different because this story really hit home for me… because I have a son with autism. It was difficult for me to just sit back and read this one because as the story went along, I kept seeing my son in Cole. It was often times a little TOO real for me. I will say though that Ms. Dell did an excellent job with Cole’s character and the story. It’s an amazing book and I’d recommend it to anyone. The whole series is awesome.

It’s tough to review the story without being completely biased so I won’t even try it. I will say though, that all the elements of a true romance are here. I always learn something new from these Texas Rodeo books. Ms. Dell shares her love for the rodeo circuit with us and it’s a joy to read.

Thank you Kari Lynn Dell for creating this wonderful character. It gives me hope that maybe one day, my son will be able to see his own dreams come true, not by accepting his limitations, but because his courage is limitless.

I voluntarily read a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and feelings are my own.

2 comments:

  1. Very nice review. Awesome book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! The book is very awesome! I can't wait for the next one!

      Delete