Guest Review: About a Dog by Jenn McKinlay

Title: About a Dog
Series: A Bluff Point Romance #1
Release Date: May 30, 2017
Publisher: Berkley Romance
Source: Publisher
Pages: 320
Guest Reviewer: Marie
Rating: 4.5 Stars
Add to Goodreads
Fall in love with a little help from man’s best friend in New York Times bestselling author Jenn McKinlay’s contemporary romance debut.

Mackenzie “Mac” Harris fled her hometown of Bluff Point, Maine, after being left at the altar—and seeking solace in the arms of her best friend’s off-limits brother. Now, seven years later, she’s back to attend her best friend’s wedding—safe, or so she thinks, from the mistakes of her youth.

But Gavin Tolliver has never forgotten the woman who has always held his heart. And when Mac rescues a stray puppy named Tulip, only Gavin, the town’s veterinarian, can help. With a little assistance from Tulip, Gavin vows to make Mac realize that their feelings are more than just puppy love…


Marie's Thoughts
I have been a huge fan of Jenn McKinlay’s cozy mysteries for years. So when I saw her jumping in to romance, I just had to check it out! And I’m really glad that I did.

There’s usually a pattern to contemporary romances that all authors follow. And while Ms. McKinlay does just that, she manages to take the tried and true pattern and make it all her own. She takes a break from the usual doses of reality and creates something exceptionally charming and a whole lot of fun.

The characters, Mac and Gavin, have known each other for years. As the best friend of Mac’s brother, Gavin has always had a thing for Mac. And, as it usually does, fate intervenes and brings these two together again, even with all of Mac’s persistent resistance. Their chemistry, while absolutely adorable at times, is tremendous. Unfortunately, I felt Mac’s whole, “no, I can’t he’s my brother’s friend” thing was a tad bit immature and somewhat over the top. However, I also felt that Gavin handled it beautifully and, in the end, it led to them finding their much needed happily ever after.

For this being the first book in what I hope is a brand new, long series, it’s pretty darn good. Ms. McKinlay, you have a huge fan that’s looking forward to your next romantic adventure.

I voluntarily read a copy of the book in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and feelings are my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment