Review: Irresistible Force by D.D. Ayres

When adrenaline runs high, so does the force of desire…

For Shay Appleton, it’s love at first sight when a gorgeous stray dog is brought into the animal shelter where she works. She just knows he’ll make a terrific watch dog—and with an abusive ex who won’t let go, she needs all the protection she can get. But Shay never suspected that her new pet is actually a trained police K-9 named Bogart—until Bogart’s even more gorgeous, human partner shows up on her doorstep.

Officer James Cannon is one tall, strong alpha male who’s convinced that Shay stole his dog. But once he gets closer to the suspect, he realizes that this stubborn, independent woman not only needs a guard dog, she needs James as well. It seems that someone from her past is stalking her, and threatening her life. When danger meets desire, will James risk his career and his best friend…to protect the woman who’s stolen his heart?




Shay Appleton has the worst luck EVER! I couldn’t believe how many horrible things that have happened to this poor girl. She’s got so much baggage; I wish Delta would lose some of it to give her a break! But Shay has a core of steel and despite the raw deal she keeps getting, she fights to keep her head held high.

James is a total alpha male who quickly falls for the spitfire. When confronting Shay for “stealing” his dog, he is equally aggravated and amused by Shay’s raised chin and her fight to keep Bogart. Bogart has become attached to Shay and is reluctant to leave Shay’s side when James comes to take him home. It’s not long until Bogart’s people start falling for each other amidst a plethora of obstacles.

I really enjoyed Necessary Force, the prequel novella, and I am excited about the premise of the series. Irresistible Force was a good follow-up but I felt that there was too much going on; I would have liked the drama/suspense more localized. I didn’t feel there was a balance between the romance and the suspense. All the bad things that were happening to Shay really overshadowed the chemistry between the couple making it hard to relate to them.

Bogart and his relationships with Shay and James were my favorite scenes in the book. I also enjoyed the introduction to Yardley Summers, the tough-as-nails kennel owner and K-9 trainer. We are treated to a brief glimpse but I have a feeling we haven’t seen the last of her. I’m looking forward to her story.

Overall, the book was okay. I was a little disappointed that I didn’t enjoy the story more, but that won’t discourage me from checking out future installments of the series.

I was gifted an eBook copy from the publisher via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review. All conclusions reached are my own.



No comments:

Post a Comment