Review: Alex by Sawyer Bennett

New York Times bestselling author Sawyer Bennett scores big-time with the first novel in a sexy new series hot enough to melt the ice.

Hockey star Alexander Crossman has a reputation as a cold-hearted player on and off the rink. Pushed into the sport by an alcoholic father, Alex isn’t afraid to give fans the proverbial middle finger, relishing his role as the MVP they love to hate. Management, however, isn’t so amused. Now Alex has a choice: fix his public image through community service or ride the bench. But Alex refuses to be molded into the Carolina Cold Fury poster boy . . . not even by a tempting redhead with killer curves.

As a social worker, Sutton Price is accustomed to difficult people—like Alex, who’s been assigned to help her create a drug-abuse awareness program for at-risk youth as part of the team’s effort to clean up his image. What she doesn’t expect is the arrogant smirk from his perfect lips to stir her most heated fantasies. But Sutton isn’t one to cross professional boundaries—and besides, Alex doesn’t do relationships . . . or does he? The more she sees behind Alex’s bad-boy fa├žade, the more Sutton craves the man she uncovers.





ORIGINAL REVIEW 10/8/14

The book is well-written but I felt disconnected throughout the story. Alex is a total a**hole and although he does soften around the edges, I never warmed up to him. The story was told in first person from both Alex’s and Sutton’s point of view and that may have been part of why I wasn’t that invested in the story.

Sutton was a confusing character. She is 22 in the story but has had a rough past and seems a lot older than she really is. Her family is loveable and her career choice is admirable. When Sutton is confronted with Alex, Sutton is more than up to the challenge to deal with his a**hole tendencies, but when dealing with an ex-boyfriend, she is timid and a complete doormat. I couldn't reconcile the two sides of Sutton's personality.

UPDATED REVIEW 10/21/14

After some thought I felt my previous review of ALEX was a little harsh. I DID think Alex was a total a**hole and he's definitely the MVP = Most Valuable Prick, but he ended up redeeming himself in my eyes. I enjoyed the story and although I still thought Sutton was a bit wishy washy in the beginning, she found the courage to stand up for herself and I admired that.

I loved the secondary characters and I'm looking forward to the next book in the series!

I recommend ALEX to anyone who loves a prickly hero.

I was gifted an eBook copy from the publisher via Net Galley in exchange for an honest review. All conclusions reached are my own.


No comments:

Post a Comment